Our Treatment of Others

We can lose sight of our goal sometimes can't we? What is your goal for this life? Think about it seriously.

Our treatment of others can really get out of control sometimes, can't it? Which do we place more value on in our daily interactions - the man, because of his place in society, or the soul, because of its place before God? Do we give respect to others, give them their dignity as a person, regardless of their position in life, or does our whole demeanor change depending on our perception of the person? Would I speak or act the same way, as a Christian, toward a homeless person, or someone in ragged clothes, as I would a businessman or someone in my own societal/economic class? What makes them more or less human and in need of the gospel as the other?

Read over Isaiah 53 again. 
Honestly assess whether you would have given Jesus Christ the time of day...

While I don't think any of us would actually say the following things in reaction to the situation proposed, we can certainly act/think like this. Consider the following:

If someone doesn't meet our standard in relation to our socio-economic status, well they're not worth our time. They don't dress like I do, they don't like the same things I like, they don't know what I know, etc. so what business do they have associating with me? They're not as educated as I am, surely they couldn't comprehend anything I have to say. What care would they have whether I'm a Christian or not, or about the gospel? They just want a hand-out, just want to be with me for what I can do for them, etc. so let someone else discuss those things with them, being around them makes me uncomfortable...besides, what if someone I knew saw me talking to that kind of person?! Oh, the horror!

If someone doesn't live up to our expectations of how they should act in every situation, well, they're not worthy of our time. Those people are socially awkward, make us uncomfortable, don't word things exactly right, aren't as adept at talking with people as I am, they're too happy, they have a weird laugh, have weird tics, are a little on the nerdy/shy/slow side, etc. Not my kind of people, they're not worthy of my presence. These people wouldn't know how to handle such an important and complex thing as the gospel, someone else can teach these people I just don't have the patience.

If someone dares to ask us a question at an inopportune moment (whatever that is), how dare they! Can't these people see that I'm a busy person? I have things to do, important activities to engage in, shows to watch, entertainment to enjoy, obligations, a family, etc. I don't have the time to take out of my day to talk to anyone that inconveniences me; nah, someone else can do that work, I'm busy. 

When someone makes us uncomfortable because of something out of their control (physical/mental limitation or condition), well it would be better if they just don't come out in public anymore. After all, when someone can't control themselves then what business do they have being out in public, needless to say learning or knowing the gospel? Why, it's a waste of my time to try and speak to such a person that is clearly so beneath me. Can't those parents control their child?! Can't those handicapped people be a little less handicapped, don't they know they're inconveniencing me with their problems? Can't those children calm down, how dare they be so active! Can't those people with mental/medical conditions just stay away from the public; shouldn't we have them in some sort of contained facility so they don't bother us normal people so much? Ugh, what an inconvenience! Some people should just stay home so that my way of life will never be bothered.

When someone is in difficult times financially, emotionally, physically, and/or spiritually...well that's their problem. They did that to themselves, so they need to just deal with it. It's not my problem, I didn't cause it. Don't burden me with your issues, I have other things to occupy my time with. Oh, what's that? You need help doing what? Well...guess you should have thought about that before you put yourself in that position huh?  

Have you ever done the "act like I don't see them" routine? You glance away and walk a little faster in hopes that the one who clearly needs help won't see you or ask you for any help? We get real skeptical of people don't we? 

How do you think Jesus would respond to us, were He were walking with us during any of the aforementioned moments in our lives? Do you think He would retell us the parable of the "Good Samaritan" (Lk.10:25-37)? Perhaps He would speak to us like He did the scribes and Pharisees for their two-faced religion (Matt.23)?

Before we conclude, I want to say this: we can be, and are expected to be, wise in our dealings. We need to be aware of dangers and conduct ourselves accordingly. There are evil people out there who actually are intent on harming us, but just because someone isn't like us doesn't automatically mean they're evil. Besides this fact, what makes us the standard anyway? Let's be sure not to make snap-judgments of others based on our own whims. 

But please, don't take my word for this. Let's look at what the scripture has to say:
James 2:1-4, 14-17 
"My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,” have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?...What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
Luke 18:9-14 
Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

With our lips we profess to be the followers of Christ, but do our works prove that is truly the case with us? Again, what is the goal for our life if not to do the will of God and lead others to Christ (Eccl.12:13-14; Matt.28:18-20)? Let's get busy pursuing that goal, let's not stop short, let's finish our race (Matt.7:13-14; Gal.6:9; 2Tim.4:7-8). Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world, who are you or I to deny someone hearing that precious saving message because we deem the person unworthy? That's not our place, the world needs salvation and we're the vessel by which it is to be spoken. God has given the opportunity of salvation to all, but if we refuse to speak that word then we're denying others what God sent His Son to die for - salvation. What right do we have to deny others salvation by our inaction?! We will certainly be judged when this life is over based on what we did with God's word - whether we believed it, obeyed it, lived it, spread it to others...what will your answer to God be? That's all that matters friend.



Thanks for dropping in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through God We Will Do Valiantly

What Is Your Trajectory

Efficient