AWESOME

It is a word that is now commonplace. One thrown around as carelessly as the word love, hate, bigot, racist, like, or y'know. We toss around words like this nowadays without ever really thinking about the true meaning of the word, don't we? When anything is worthy of an exclamation or proclamation of how wonderful it is, it's instantly "awesome". From a smart-phone to a majestic sunrise over a high mountain range, we toss all of that into the realm of "awesome". The problem is, not everything is actually "awesome".

I've been guilty of using this word to describe everything from a child's artistic attempt, to our dog's fetching a ball, to sarcastically noting my disapproval of some action. I have used this as my go-to word for everything. It's not for lack of vocabulary that I have used this word, for there are a plethora of other words I could use, but more out of not thinking of the impact of my words or not paying attention to what I'm actually saying.

Let this post be a teachable moment for us all, especially me, as we try to reserve words such as this for its intended and actual usage.

When we use the word "awesome", do we realize the way it's supposed to be used? Let's break it down.
* Awesome - something which inspires awe. 
Okay. Well that doesn't really get to the heart of it, does it? Let's then define the word, "awe":
* Awe - an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime
* a : dread, terror
* b : the power to inspire dread
Now we're talkin'. I think I get it now. Let's ask ourselves who or what this definition fits, who or what is "something which inspires awe".

The regular activities of man? Not awesome.
Everyday occurrences? Nuh uh, not awesome.
My coffee, my food, my vehicle, my hobbit-like appetite, my attempt at art, inanimate objects? So not awesome.
My skills as a person? Nope, not awesome.
Any of my works as a man? Completely not awesome.

Ok, well this definition doesn't seem to fit to what I generally attribute the word worthy to describe. Let's then consider a realm higher than man.

The evidence all around us of God through His Creation? Awesome.
A sunrise, a sunset, a storm, the changing of seasons, the majesty and beauty of His creatures? Awesome.
His works, His providence, His mercy, His patience? Awesome.
The law of God, His commands, His holy word? Awesome.
God Himself? Awesome, truly.

The word "awesome" is used about 39 times in the NKJV of the Bible (Bible Usage of Awesome).
Do a personal study and recognize how, when, and why this word is actually used.

When we use words reserved for God as everyday, commonplace words then we dampen the impact of that word. We cause that word to lose the power, emphasis, and dignity to which it has been intended and designated. We have a habit of doing this with many words in our country, and our irreverence is evident. People take the name of the Lord in vain at will. They've even devised a cute lil abbreviation they can use in text messages and on social media so they won't have to type out their blasphemy. It's despicable, but yet so widely accepted. The same people who take His name in vain, claim to also follow Him and be called one of His. What a disgrace this is.

Friends, we need to consider our words. Question what you say and why you say it. Question the meaning of each and every word you utter and your reason for uttering it. So many things just slip in to our language and our conversation without really a second thought from us, and I'm just as guilty as the next person. We must investigate what we're saying in order that we can truly "speak as the oracles of God" and be confident that the Lord will approve of all that we say and therefore do (1Pet.4:11; Heb.4:11-13; Jms.3).

Let's watch and consider what we say, friends.


Thanks for dropping in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart of Josiah

Through God We Will Do Valiantly

Veterans' Day