Tribute To My Dad

Who do I become as a man? How do you "conduct yourself like a man"? What model do you use to pattern your life, your marriage, your home after? It starts with Dad. Boys look to their fathers for an example. Fathers show their boys what to do and what not to do. Some fathers specialize in everything not to do, how not to be a man, how to throw away one's life - spiritually and physically - in favor of the passing pleasure of sin. Other fathers risk it all, sometimes that meaning their physical relationships, in order to see that the souls of their children are taken care of and right before God. Good fathers look to the spiritual needs of their children and their home above all else.

I thank God that my father was of the latter. Does that mean he was faultless, that he didn't make some mistakes along the way? Certainly not, he's a man. But one thing was for sure, and still is, we know where we stand with Dad. If we're in sin, we know we must get it right and he cares enough about us to have those highly uncomfortable discussions. Dad doesn't like confrontation, it tears him up inside, but I don't think I ever witnessed him back down from it. Dad has done difficult things and has suffered in this life as a result. We were witness to this growing up.

Since I had more time at home than my brothers, I was privy to more of my father's household as an adult. We became good friends through this time, and I am who I am today in large part due to his example to me. I had some very rough times as a result of my own sin, my own poor decisions, but my parents helped me put my life back together. I love my parents deeply.

My Dad has been knocked down, but I've seen him get back up with the spirit of a boxer in the ring, not accepting failure as an option. Now that I'm older, I see that my Dad lives one of his favorite lines to us growing up, "Remember who you are." Dad remembers that he's a Christian first, and his hatred of sin and the devil is as deep as his love is for the truth and for God.

I've witnessed the personal cost. I've seen the contempt in the faces of those whose souls he loved enough to teach the uncompromising truth of the gospel to tirelessly. I've witnessed people hating him for not backing down, not giving way to sin, in his own life or in the preaching of the gospel. I've witnessed my Dad, this giant of a man in so many ways, cry over souls, over congregations, over sin gone unrepented of, over death of loved ones spiritually and physically. I've seen my father break down physically from the burdens of life, I've seen him burned out, and I've seen him on fire for the Lord, resolved to do more for the cause of Christ and to wear himself out for the gospel no matter what it takes. I've seen him and my mother go without, I've seen their sacrifice as a team, and I've witnessed the beauty of their strong faith in putting into practice Matthew 6:33 in their lives.

My Dad is my hero. My Dad is a rock. My Dad loves the Lord with all his heart, soul, and mind. He is a giant in my mind, and I cherish the blessing of calling him my Dad. I count myself blessed for his godly instructions, for expecting the best of me - & seeing the good in me when I was blinded to it -  throughout my life, for all those difficult but needed lectures I got, for the discussions of spiritual things, for my sense of humor, for the continued love and support he gives to me, and for the man he encourages and expects me to be before the Lord. Thank you, Dad, for always loving God and souls first and us second. You're truly a man, and your raising of me inspires me to always put God first, always seek the truth, and to always do my best in all I set out to do. Dad, you succeeded in life for you raised me to love God and you taught me the truth which continues to guide my life and my ways. You led me to Christ, and that is your greatest achievement, thank you for being my Dad.

Love you Dad, happy father's day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heart of Josiah

Through God We Will Do Valiantly

Veterans' Day