Competition

Competition

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for  an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one  who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." (1Cor.9:24-27)

Discipline. Competition. Strength.

I relate to what Paul says here in a number of ways. One of those ways is the experience of one of my greatest challenges physically: competitive powerlifting.

Tapping in to the mindset I had in my competition days is one that I've tried to chase at various times in my life. It was one of incredible focus, purpose, and determination. No weight too great, no sacrifice in diet too much that I couldn't let go in order that I may be at my peak, no distraction worthy of my attention because I had a goal in mind. Tunnel vision and discipline. No supplements or aides, just training harder for longer. The internal fight was my body trying to tell my mind "no" while my mind screamed back "YES!!! We got this!!!" Proving to myself that I could add another five or ten pounds to the bar was empowering and pushed me to work even harder for the next milestone or new max.

What I've discovered throughout my life is that this mindset can be used in other areas of life, all that lacks is the determination. There was a time when my mind controlled my body, where a very strict diet and exercise routine kept me in my 119lb weight class without compromising my strength and ability to remain competitive. My competition rarely was against another person, for it was primarily against myself. I had the ability and strength, all that basically lacked was me doing it.

I look back on that time with fondness. Now, many years removed from that time, I still have the drive in my daily workouts and I still compete against myself; however beyond physically lifting some weight there is a greater task at hand. The same mindset that allows me to push my body to lift more has carried over to spiritual matters, to domestic duties, and to various other roles I have in my life. I find that, much different from lifting weights, the only limits to growing spiritually are those which we place on ourselves. The body has physical limits, but the soul is limitless in what it can do - limitless because God has given us heavenly pursuits and His Son as the example. Consider, for example, the fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 :

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law."

Which of those characteristics have a limit? Within the bounds of God's word, we have no limit on how much we can grow in these areas. What about 1 Corinthians 13 where we're told about the characteristics of love. God's love is limitless - and so should ours be (Rom.5:6-8; 2Pet.3:9)

I never competed to lose, never for second place. Pushing myself through physical pain (a fractured wrist requiring surgery and two shoulder impingements) taught me that when pain is your barrier you can find the strength to gut it out. You can overcome the pain. The long-term goal requires short-term sacrifice, even intense pain - but, if you deem the goal worthy enough, it's worth every ounce of that pain. The strength to overcome in these times is a very different kind of strength, it's more mental than it is physical. Perhaps that is where we defeat ourselves the most in our spiritual lives, the battle within our minds.

Our greatest competition is with ourselves in this life - our own choices. At times the body cries out in protest - perhaps even pain - when we deny it having its pleasure, at other times it's our minds that cry out. Each time we choose salvation over sin we get a step closer to our Lord (Jms.4:7-8); we strengthen our mind, body, and soul when we choose to serve Him over self. Jesus showed us that we could live a life without sin and we can have control over ourselves. He was completely without sin, and we follow in His footsteps. Isn't that a comfort?!! God gave us His complete revealed word to guide our lives and hearts, illuminating our path home to Him, and He gave us His Son to show us how to do it (Prov.3; Ps.119:105)!!

My physical challenges taught me spiritual lessons, may each of our experiences do the same with us. Seek out God's word for the answers to what challenges you face in truly following in the steps of Christ.

God provides us the ability and strength to be like His Son. Perhaps what lacks with us is the desire, motivation, and/or determination. Friend, whatever is keeping us from competing to win, to win  the ultimate prize of heaven, let us cast it off (Mk.9:43-48; Heb.12:1-4).

Run with endurance, train harder, fight to win, don't stop short (1Cor.9:24-27; Phil.3:12-14; Rev.2:10).

Heaven will surely be worth it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Art of Avoidance

Through God We Will Do Valiantly

Efficient